Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Favorite Morning Smoothie

So, I'm a whole foods fan and not-so-much a smoothie fan, but sometimes for a change of pace I love this concoction I put together this summer.

6-8 ozs. plain. lo-fat, organic yogurt
handful of blueberries
4 or 5 strawberries
1 tblspn of flax seed freshly ground
1 tsp of cinnamon ( I use Penzy's Vietnamese)
1/4 cup of walnut pieces or halves
a couple of handfuls of greens (baby spinach, kale, any "super foods")
6-8 ice cubes (this makes it better tasting than without)

I blend the first 5 ingredients, then add the walnuts and blend, then the greens and blend (may need to use a spatula to push them down), then add the ice cubes and use the "chop" selection on my blender. The color is purple because of the berries, not yucky green:)

If you like your smoothies a little sweeter tasting here's some alternatives:
Flavored yogurt (but still use a low fat one)
A good local honey or stevia

Enjoy!!!!


The berries are not in the photo because I used them all up!

No comments:

Post a Comment