Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Recipe from an Unlikely Source

I had my annual all-over checkup at the dermatologist on Monday. Not my favorite thing to do. Once we have enough years between when we used to bake in the sun and when we come to our senses and take better care to protect that skin we are often rewarded with finding out that it can take twenty or so years to develop problems from so much sun exposure. So, in the past three years I have had a basil cell carcinoma removed from my forearm a "suspicious" freckle on my leg, and now something next to that scar on my forearm frozen off and a mole that "looked bad" excised from where as far as I know, there has never been sun exposure.


However, while all of this search and find and removal was going on my derm shared a recipe with me that I customized and tried last night and it was awesome!


Unlike my daughter-in-law, Missy, I forgot to take photos as I prepared it or before we ate it all for that matter. We were hungry and I got started late on making dinner. It takes very little time (45 minutes including cooking time) but is "Delish in a Dish"!


Here it is:


Endive (or Escarole) Soup
Ingredients:
4 C. Chicken stock or broth
Several cloves of fresh garlic chopped fine or crushed with the flat of a large knife blade (this makes the soup!)
1 large onion, chopped fine
Fresh Parsley chopped fine
Sea or Kosher Salt
Pepper

(the next ingredients except the Endive are my additions)
Several fresh mushrooms sliced
2 links Trader Joe's Turkey Chicken Basil Pesto Sausage sliced or chopped large (this is fully cooked)
Head of Endive (Escarole)
Grated Parmesan Cheese or a 4 cheese Italian shredded blend from the dairy case 

Put First six ingredients into large saucepan and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
Add sausage and mushrooms at this time. 
Simmer for 25-30 minutes adding the Endive just in the last 5-10 minutes depending on how wilted you want it.

Top with the cheese and enjoy!
Makes a meal with good crusty bread and some fresh fruit, or a great starter for a multi-course meal with friends.
It can be vegetarian by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken stock and putting beans or some other meat replacement in it, or none at all!



No comments:

Post a Comment